• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Athelstan Museum Malmesbury

Athelstan Museum

Capturing the history of Malmesbury

  • Visit
    • Opening Hours
    • Getting Here
    • Inside the Museum
    • Accessibility
    • Shop
    • Explore Malmesbury
  • What’s On
    • Current Events
    • Exhibitions
  • Collection
    • Agriculture & Industry
    • Art Gallery
    • Coins
    • Highlights From Our Collection
    • Malmesbury Images
    • Malmesbury Voices
    • Textiles & Lace
    • Transport
  • Local History
    • Timeline
    • People
      • King Athelstan
      • King Charles I
      • Princess Eadgyth
      • St Aldhelm
      • St Lullus
      • Charles James Fox
      • Eilmer The Flying Monk
      • Hannah Twynnoy
      • John Scotus
      • Joseph Addison
      • Richard Hatchwell
      • Robin Tanner
      • Thomas Hobbes
      • Walter Powell
      • William of Malmesbury
      • William Stumpe
    • Architecture
      • Early Churches
      • Malmesbury Abbey
      • Later Churches
      • 1646 Bird’s Eye View
      • The Old Bell Hotel
      • Castle
      • Market Cross
      • Silk Mills
      • Town Walls
    • Community
      • Concert Band
      • Education
      • Sports Clubs
    • Witches of Malmesbury
    • Trade & Industry
      • Ratcliffe and Son, Engineers
    • Transport
      • Rail
      • Road
      • Vehicles
      • Water
    • Governance
  • Learn
  • Venue Hire
  • About
    • Our Museum History
    • Museum Collection Policy
    • Museum Support
    • Volunteers
    • News & Newsletters
    • Useful Web Links
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Make a Donation
    • Become a Member
    • Corporate Sponsors
    • Legacy Donations
    • Fundraising
    • Volunteering

Bird’s Eye View of Malmesbury in 1646

The museum displays an enlarged copy, and touch screen operated interpretation of a wonderful picture map of Malmesbury in the Civil War. The original is owned by the Warden and Freemen of Malmesbury and the museum gratefully acknowledges their permissions.

This bird’s eye view of the town is the only aerial view of the defences of any small town in the civil war. It illustrates the town defences from a point looking to the south-west as they were on 23rd October 1646. This was the day work started to demolish the town walls under the order made by Parliament. The painting is remarkable in its detail, and shows the earliest view of Malmesbury by many years.

The map has key features marked and descriptions of them given; eg, “Gibett and Horse for ye souldiers correction”! The touchscreen enables all to be identified and read, with some additional explanations for modern readers.

Birds eye view of Malmesbury in October 1646

As a taster, this is the overall description at the top of the map:

“The description of Malmesbury or firstlie Maedalfsbury a borough of north Wiltshire both ancient and famous now in the possession & sole jurisdiction of a familie of Antiquitie and Honours viz Sr John Davers of Dansie House kanight a member of the house of Comones this Parliament 1647, wch place is not only Renowned for its naturall streinth Seated on a step hill, unclimbable by reason of the manie Rockes extending unto or containing not more ground than what it standith on and (within lesse than pistol shotte) surrounded with unfordable Rivers.

But also for its unquonquered streinth and victorie obtained against the Danes for a long Sedge for Athelstane, a Saxon King (shut up with in it): Manifest by his Charter, extant there, whoe for its Services and fidelitie bestowed beside severall other privileges and immunities veriy faire Landes which to this day it enjojeth and where likewise in testimonie of his affection to soe great a favoured his bodie (at his desire) was Intombed: This shewes the direct figure of that Borough or Garison as it stode fortified the 23 of Octobre 1646: the day it was demolished by the Parliaments order (the whole Kingdom being a little before Redused) when it had stode a firme Garison for the Pariament of England (under the Command of Collonell Nicholas Deveraux) 2 years, four monthes, and odd weakes: wch Description or draght as proper unto the said Sr John Davers (the sole Lord and ouner of it) together with the Cotte of Armes of his familie, the said Cotte presented in acknowledgement of his many noble favours this 10th Aprill 1648”

Heritage Fund Logo
ArtFund Logo
South West Museum Development Program logo
European Flag

The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas

Defra Logo
Wiltshire Council logo
Vale Action
Leader logo
athelstan logo

Athelstan Museum
Town Hall, Cross Hayes
Malmesbury
Wiltshire, SN16 9BZ

Tel: 01666 829258
Email: info@athelstanmuseum.org.uk

  • Facebook
  • Bluesky
  • Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Athelstan Museum Malmesbury| Registered Charity: 1174110 | Data Protection Policy | Website Accessibility | Site Map | Website by Callia Web, Hosted by 34SP