• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Athelstan Museum Malmesbury

Athelstan Museum

Capturing the history of Malmesbury

  • Visit
    • Opening Hours
    • Getting Here
    • Inside the Museum
    • Accessibility
    • Shop
    • Explore Malmesbury
  • What’s On
    • Current Events
    • Exhibitions
  • Collection
    • Agriculture & Industry
    • Art Gallery
    • Coins
    • Highlights From Our Collection
    • Malmesbury Images
    • Malmesbury Voices
    • Textiles & Lace
    • Transport
  • Local History
    • Timeline
    • People
      • King Athelstan
      • King Charles I
      • Princess Eadgyth
      • St Aldhelm
      • St Lullus
      • Charles James Fox
      • Eilmer The Flying Monk
      • Hannah Twynnoy
      • John Scotus
      • Joseph Addison
      • Richard Hatchwell
      • Robin Tanner
      • Thomas Hobbes
      • Walter Powell
      • William of Malmesbury
      • William Stumpe
    • Architecture
      • Early Churches
      • Malmesbury Abbey
      • Later Churches
      • 1646 Bird’s Eye View
      • The Old Bell Hotel
      • Castle
      • Market Cross
      • Silk Mills
      • Town Walls
    • Community
      • Concert Band
      • Education
      • Sports Clubs
    • Witches of Malmesbury
    • Trade & Industry
      • Ratcliffe and Son, Engineers
    • Transport
      • Rail
      • Road
      • Vehicles
      • Water
    • Governance
  • Learn
  • Venue Hire
  • About
    • Our Museum History
    • Museum Collection Policy
    • Museum Support
    • Volunteers
    • News & Newsletters
    • Useful Web Links
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Make a Donation
    • Become a Member
    • Corporate Sponsors
    • Legacy Donations
    • Fundraising
    • Volunteering
Inside the museum

Fire Pump

Until recently, this was on loan to Wiltshire Fire Museum. It has now been returned, has undergone conservation treatment and is on display in the Tourist Information Centre. The 4 man manual fire engine, more strictly pump, was probably made by Samuel Phillips of New Surrey Street, Blackfriars, London in the second half of the 18th century; Richard Newsham, a pearl button maker from London made similar engines.

Samuel Phillips started making fire engines in 1760; in 1797 the firm became Phillips and Hopwood.

Josiah Wedgwood of pottery fame ordered in 1781 a one third size engine for his factory. It cost £40 but with extras; buckets, hoses, nozzles and special box the total was £58-17s-3d. Not good enough – Josiah had his name painted on each side; it cost him another 2 shillings.

Malmesbury Fire Engine Charges

The fire pump would have been conveyed to the fire by horse and cart, and then dragged as close to the fire as possible. Water would be fetched in buckets from the nearest source by a stream of helpers. The water was poured into the reservoir and 4 men pumping as hard as they could, would force the water up the hose so it could be played on the fire.

Samuel Phillips stamp

Not all houses were protected. If you were insured a plaque was displayed on the front. Subscribers had their fire put out free but had to pay for oiling and greasing the hose afterwards.


In 1974 a series of four commemorative stamps featuring fire engines was issued. The 10p stamp featured a Samuel Phillips fire engine.

Heritage Fund Logo
ArtFund Logo
South West Museum Development Program logo
European Flag

The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development: Europe investing in rural areas

Defra Logo
Wiltshire Council logo
Vale Action
Leader logo
athelstan logo

Athelstan Museum
Town Hall, Cross Hayes
Malmesbury
Wiltshire, SN16 9BZ

Tel: 01666 829258
Email: info@athelstanmuseum.org.uk

  • Facebook
  • Bluesky
  • Instagram

Copyright © 2026 · Athelstan Museum Malmesbury| Registered Charity: 1174110 | Data Protection Policy | Website Accessibility | Site Map | Website by Callia Web, Hosted by 34SP